Liz Leonard (312) 368-5823
CHICAGO - Feb 9, 2012— With record sales for Saturday’s drawing of Powerball, the jackpot has now swelled to $325 million with a cash value of $203 million. This is the largest cash jackpot of any U.S. Lottery game. After taxes a lucky winner will take home $142 million. If the Powerball jackpot rolls Saturday night, Lottery officials project a jackpot of $415 million for Wednesday’s drawing – the largest jackpot in U.S. history.
QUICK POWERBALL FACTS
• Introduced in Illinois on January 31, 2010
• Current jackpot at $325 million; cash value of $203 million; after withholding: $142 million
• Jackpots now start at $40 million instead of $20 million
• Overall odds of winning a prize: 1:31.8
• Generated approximately $11 billion for good causes nationwide since 1992
• Drawings are at 9:59 PM (CT) every Wednesday and Saturday
• All profits from Powerball in Illinois stay in Illinois to support education and capital developments
• Powerball is played in 44 lottery jurisdictions across the country
• Largest Powerball Jackpot: $365 million; won Feb. 18, 2006 in Nebraska
About Illinois Lottery
Founded in 1974, the Illinois Lottery has contributed over $17 billion to the state Common School Fund to assist K-12 public schools, as well as the Capital Projects Fund. Players must be at least 18 years old.