Mega Millions™ Jackpot Rolls To $241 Million
|For Immediate Release||Contact: Liz Leonard 312-533-7201 (cell)|
CHICAGO – March 17 2012--The Mega Millions jackpot rolled Friday night to $241 million for Tuesday night’s drawing. Winning numbers for Friday’s drawing were: 28 - 29 - 43 - 51 - 53 and the Mega Ball number is 07.
Over the past 12 years, Mega Millions sales in Illinois have contributed an estimated $820 million to the Illinois Common School Fund and Capital Projects Fund.
QUICK MEGA MILLIONS FACTS
- Current Jackpot is $241 million with a cash option of $170.9 million; after withholding: $119.6 million.
- The last winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket was sold Jan 24, 2012 in Georgia for $72 million.
- Mega Millions is a multi-state lottery game played in 42 states plus the District of Columbia and the U. S. Virgin Islands for a total of 44 jurisdictions.
- Mega Millions jackpots start at $12 million.
- Each play costs just $1.00.
- The very first jackpot Mega Millions winning ticket was sold on May 17, 2002, in Chatham, IL and resulted in a $28 million jackpot prize.
- Overall chances of winning a prize are 1 in 40.
- Drawings are held Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 p.m. CST.
- The biggest-ever jackpot prize was $390 million in March 2007 to winners in Georgia and New Jersey.
Founded in 1974, the Illinois Lottery has contributed over $20 billion to the state’s Common School Fund to assist K-12 public schools, as well as hundreds of millions of dollars to the Capital Projects Fund and to special causes like Illinois Veterans, the fight against breast cancer, MS research, and assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS. In addition to playing in-store, the Illinois Lottery offers online and mobile play for Mega Millions, Powerball and Lotto at www.illinoislottery.com. Players must be at least 18 years old.