Powerball™ Jackpot Rolls To $310 Million
Total contribution from Powerball to good causes for Illinois tops $10.6 million
|For Immediate Release||Contact: Liz Leonard (312) 368-5823|
CHICAGO - Feb 9, 2012--The Powerball jackpot stands at $310 million for Saturday’s 9:59 pm Powerball drawing. Want to picture just how much 310,000,000 is? Take 310 million $1 bills and line them up end-to-end. The line would stretch from New York City to Los Angles and back again nearly 6 times.
While no one won Wednesday’s $250 million Powerball jackpot, there were over 76,294 winners in Illinois, with players pocketing prizes ranging from $10,000 to $4. Powerball sales during the peak hour yesterday evening between 6:00 – 7:00 pm averaged $6,929 per minute. Powerball sales during this roll that started on Dec. 28, 2011, total $23.9 million. Contributions to the Common School Fund from this Powerball roll are estimated at $10.6 million.
Powerball celebrated its second anniversary in Illinois on Jan. 31, 2012. Over the past two years, Powerball sales in Illinois have contributed an estimated $98 million to the Illinois Common School Fund and Capital Projects Fund.
QUICK POWERBALL FACTS
• Introduced in Illinois on January 31, 2010
• Current jackpot at $310 million; cash value of $193.4 million; after withholding: $135.4 million
• Jackpots now start at $40 million instead of $20 million
• Overall odds of winning a prize: 1:31.8
• Generated approximately $11 billion for good causes nationwide since 1992
• Drawings are at 9:59 PM (CT) every Wednesday and Saturday
• All profits from Powerball in Illinois stay in Illinois to support education and capital developments
• Powerball is played in 44 lottery jurisdictions across the country
• Largest Powerball Jackpot: $365 million; won Feb. 18, 2006 in Nebraska
Founded in 1974, the Illinois Lottery has contributed over $20 billion to the state’s Common School Fund to assist K-12 public schools, as well as hundreds of millions of dollars to the Capital Projects Fund and to special causes like Illinois Veterans, the fight against breast cancer, MS research, and assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS. In addition to playing in-store, the Illinois Lottery offers online and mobile play for Mega Millions, Powerball and Lotto at www.illinoislottery.com. Players must be at least 18 years old.