Largest Powerball Jackpot Ever!
Powerball Swells to $600 Million
|For Immediate Release||
Contact: Chanele Newton (312) 368-5814
Alex Roberts (312) 240-3304
Chicago, IL—May 17, 2013 — The Powerball jackpot was increased this morning to $600 million, making it the largest Powerball jackpot ever. Estimated cash value for this jackpot is $376.9 million.
Meanwhile, tonight’s Mega Millions jackpot stands at an impressive $190 million and boasts an estimated cash value of $140 million. Combined together, Lottery players have a chance at winning over $790,000,000!
The winning numbers from Wednesday night’s Powerball drawing were 02 - 11 - 26 - 34 - 41 and the Powerball was 32. While no one won Wednesday night’sPowerball drawing, over 104,000 Illinoisans won prizes ranging from $10,000 - $12.
The Powerball jackpot has rolled a total of 12 times; climbing since March 30, when a Lottery player in Freeport, Illinois won a $50 million jackpot. Mega Millionshas rolled 17 times since March 12, when an Ohio player won $41 million.
In March 2012, the Illinois Lottery became the first U.S. lottery to offer the sale of lottery tickets via the Internet. Since Illinois introduced these lottery games,Mega Millions and Powerball have collectively contributed an estimated $940 million to the Illinois Common School Fund and Capital Projects Fund.
The largest jackpot ever was a $656 million Mega Millions jackpot from March 30, 2012. That jackpot saw three winners split the prize, including one winner from Red Bud, Illinois.
QUICK POWERBALL FACTS
- Current jackpot at $600 million; cash value of $376.9 million; after withholding: $263.8 million
- Introduced in Illinois on January 31, 2010.
- IL has had 27 Match 5 winners since January 18, 2012; Match 5 winners receive $1,000,000 each which increases to $2,000,000 if they select the Power Play game option. Two of the 27 Match 5 winners have won $2,000,000
- Overall odds of winning the jackpot 1:175,000,000
- Drawings are at 9:59 PM (CT) every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Powerball is played in 45 lottery jurisdictions across the country.
- Jackpots start at $40 million.
QUICK MEGA MILLIONS FACTS
- Current jackpot is $190 million with a cash option of $140 million; after withholding: $98 million
- Overall odds of winning the jackpot 1:175,711,536
- Mega Millions is a multi-state lottery game played in 43 states plus the District of Columbia and the U. S. Virgin Islands for a total of 45 jurisdictions
- Mega Millions jackpots start at $12 million
- The very first jackpot Mega Millions winning ticket was sold on May 17, 2002, in Chatham, IL and resulted in a $28 million jackpot prize
- Drawings are held Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 p.m. CST
Founded in 1974, the Illinois Lottery has contributed over $20 billion to the state’s Common School Fund to assist K-12 public schools, as well as hundreds of millions of dollars to the Capital Projects Fund and to special causes like Illinois Veterans, the fight against breast cancer, MS research, and assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS. In addition to playing in-store, the Illinois Lottery offers online and mobile play for Mega Millions, Powerball and Lotto at www.illinoislottery.com. Players must be at least 18 years old.